DISCLOSURE: Some of the links in my posts are affiliate links, meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you like my recommendation and then click through and make a purchase. Details...
Domain names are your URL, a.k.a. “what you type into the address bar of your web browser to view your site”. This is done through a “Registrar”. If you are looking to see if your domain name is available, follow the link and use their search box. If you find a domain name you like, don’t delay. With 5 or more purchased, the PRIVATE REGISTRATION IS FREE! NOTE: DO NOT ADD ON EMAIL, HOSTING, SSL CERTIFICATES, OR OTHER ADD-ONS, BUT DO GET PRIVACY!
Make sure to add PRIVACY to your domain registration so you do not expose your personal contact details to the public.
DISCLOSURE: This is an affiliate link, meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you like my recommendation and then click through and make a purchase. Details…
Once someone else registers your name, you can’t easily get it back. You can buy the rights to use a domain name for 1-year or more. I suggest that you purchase EVERYTHING related to your brand:
- Your business name(s) and variations that are commonly used
- Your name
- Your social networking usernames
- Your tagline
- Product or service names
- Ideas or concepts that are a key part of your business messaging
- .NET, .ORG versions of the most important ones
Contact us to assist you in registering your domain names.
We will help you purchase it IN YOUR NAME with us as the admin contact. This is very important. We have taken over as web developers for clients that found out they did not own their own domain name!
Other domain registrars (like Network Solutions) are more expensive or may be cheaper but have bad quality service, which is why I recommend GoDaddy.
If you need to get a new domain name
- If you need multiple domain names (most businesses do, for your business names AND your name), then start by seeing if your desired names are available.
- Follow this link and use their search box. If you find a domain name you like, don’t delay.
- With 5 or more purchased, the PRIVATE REGISTRATION IS FREE!
- Do not add on any additional services except for PRIVACY.
- If you only need 1 domain name AND you are paying for yearly hosting with Bluehost, then it includes 1 domain name registration. You may purchase it here (+ $10 for domain privacy). Please let me know your choice and I will assist you with setup.
- Then follow the steps below.
If you currently have a domain name
- Get the username, password, and contact info for your registrar.
- This is emailed to you when you register.
- Forward access info emails to me so I can setup your site.
- IMPORTANT: Verify that your domain names are registered to YOU and not your last web designer. Check this by doing a “WHOIS” Search at this link: https://www.godaddy.com/whois
- Check how much you are paying yearly. GoDaddy is reliable & inexpensive, and we can help you transfer it.
- Check when your names are up for renewal, and to make sure you renew.
After you purchase your domain names
RECORD ALL INFORMATION RELATED TO YOUR DOMAIN NAME. Consider this “your keys to the kingdom” and follow all of these security measures:
- Fill this out electronically and send us a copy so we can access your website.
- ONLY GIVE THIS INFORMATION to people you totally trust, and change the password as soon as they are done accessing.
- PRINT OUT a copy of all of this information in your secured business records.
Renewing & expired domain names
- Your domains will be up for renewal in 1 year or more (depending on the length of time you registered it for). MAKE CAREFUL NOTE OF THESE DATES. Keep your contact information up-to-date with GoDaddy and you will get reminders of renewals.
- When it comes time to renew, I suggest CALLING GODADDY AT 480.505.8877. & asking for their lowest price. Often this will save you money.
- You may wind up purchasing domain names that you no longer need. If you are SURE that it won’t be part of your brand ever again, you can let it expire.
- If ANYONE out there thinks it is still part of your brand, I suggest keeping it. We recently had a client let their domain expire, and now a CASINO owns it. It was very recently associated with their brand and now could have a negative impact.
- Switch to GoDaddy if you registered it with another company and it’s about 60-days from renewal.
Hello Service-Based Entrepreneur,
I know it’s easy to get overwhelmed by reading blog posts full of ideas, tactics & tools. Be honest...
- How frustrated will you be trying to implement this on your own?
- How much time will you waste if it's not your next best step?
- Did you just take the time to read this but you won't make any changes?
- Or are you ready to take a small next step to build your brand?
Get clarity & your next step forward!
I'm here to help you with your marketing for the new normal & beyond. Let's talk about your options to work with me on a FREE 30-min call.
To your success,
Marketing Strategist & Designer
I offer a blend of 30+ years of expertise in marketing, websites, brand identity, strategy, tech solutions, and more. I work with service-based entrepreneurs to start & grow their brands. I use a practical and flexible approach to adjust to changes in your business & life. Toolkits & done-with-you planning create your strategy. Then add on other services for a custom solution.