This statement sounds so simple, but I could give you dozens of examples of people NOT putting it into practice.
I’ve been guilty of this same cycle myself.
I found it easier to just say YES to that new event invite and squeeze it into an already busy schedule, rather than first focus on who I already knew.
Maybe it’s because I had been programmed to think that I need to get “out there” in order to network. So I armed myself with business cards and headed off to an event that was a complete gamble in trying to find my ideal client. It was exhausting and not the best way to try to grow my network.
It was however, an incredible learning experience, and why I created the PLAN, BRAND & COMMUNICATE System.
My lessons learned make networking more efficient & a more enjoyable investment of my time.
Here’s just a few key points:
- Start with your current connections (often overlooked!)
- Know the different types of connections you want to make
- Social Media allows a networker to:
- Connect from the convenience of your own office (or comfort of your own home)
- Pre-qualify a person as a good potential connection
- View an RSVP list and make a plan of who you want to meet
- ALL of this was a waste of time if you do not have a strategic plan